Monday, January 29, 2007

One Word Descriptions...

So I asked some friends and family to give me one word that describes me. I have to say, it made my Monday a little better than most Mondays. It reminded me of the story where the teacher had every student in her class right one word to describe each of their classmates, and she later found out that most of the students kept their "list" their entire lives. It does feel good, of course, to have nice things said about you. And it also feels nice and redeeming to see that others see how how you see yourself, and sometimes even better.

My mom described me as "positive." I loved this because I do try to be positive - it is a quality that I am not sure comes naturally, but that I have always wanted.

From various friends, I received "compassionate," "vibrant," and "intellectual." I see myself as the first - sometimes painfully so - and "vibrant" is one of those descriptions where your friends see you in a better life than you see yourself. Flattering!, especially from someone who herself is so vibrant. "Intellectual" made me laugh, because it came from a friend who perpetually used all my notes in college (yes, that might be why he considers me a friend). During a conversation with him the other day, I couldn't remember the words "door knob" or "hinge" when we were talking about doors (ie, changing the knobs and hinges in our apartment). So I am not sure if he was being sarcastic or serious:) I also got "surprising" -- which I took as a compliment (and then copied, and said about one of my friends).

I was called, "vivacious," which I loved and actually looked it up to pinpoint all the things it encompasses. Of course, it came from a writer who knows the strength of certain words - so was also flattering.

I was called "grounded" and "down-to-earth." I love both of those descriptions. Because I see myself as such, it was nice to know that others not only see that in me, but respect it! However, I did remind my friend that said "down-to-earth" that the phrase is three words, not one. We argued whether the dashes changed that fact, and I won the argument. He then called me "sore-loser," which I reminded him was two words, then "know-it-all," which again was three, then "b****." This is the kind of affection I love from some of my male friends.

And, as for the words I gave my friends and family so far....caring, inspiring, dynamic, beautiful, fun, thoughtful, witty, surprising, solid, integrity, deep, generous, insightful. I learn my good qualities from all of them!

No comments: