Tuesday, January 23, 2007

State of the Union

Playing on the internet - doing some work - while listening to the State of the Union. I was about to lambast GW, but right at that moment he turned his speech and attention to Dikembe Motumbo. Whom I love, and I think deserves a ton of credit for his achievements, intelligence, kindness, and humanitarian efforts. So I will at least pause for a moment before I say anything else....

....

Now, why does GW sound exactly the same all the time? Why? Doesn't he hear himself. He can't say a sentence with any other cadence, tone, rhythm than he said the last one. It drives me crazy - for many reasons - not the least of which that the cadence, tone, and rhythm does not contain one ounce of genuine passion or intelligence. The cadence and tone do not vibrate from the substance contained within his words. In fact, his speeches and words contain very little substance. I hope 2008 finds us someone better (it is hard to imagine anyone could be worse). 49 minutes of nothing.

Can we please have a president who does not end his State of the Union with "God Bless."

Question. I might be politically naive, but I have been wondering this. Why don't Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton join forces and run as a team together in 2008? There seems little doubt that they will be the democratic front runners. By joining forces, they certainly create a power team that will unify some votes. I prefer Obama to Hillary (although I disagree with him on the "civil union" issue - why support a policy that is essentially the failed "separate but equal" policy previously found unconstitutional? I understand not wanting to rock the boat as a politician, but still...), but I think together they make a statement that might elude democrats otherwise (although I would hope not). And fault him all you like, I like Bill Clinton - and Hillary basically gets him back in office. I don't know. I am not thinking this one through, because I am tired, but I just want so much better in our presidency than we have now.

One commentator just said, "There were so many sad echos of things he [GW] said in the past." Ah, how accurate. Great statement.

On another note - the woman sitting next to me on the subway tonight was knitting. She paused from knitting to "fix" her hair, and kept the knitting needle in her hand while she did this and poke me in the face with it. Not once. Not twice. Three times! Apparently, I should not have said "No worries" after she apologized the first time. There are, in fact, some occasions where "no worries" is not an appropriate statement. But it just comes out! Out of habit:)

No comments: