Thursday, January 11, 2007

A touch of humor, a little thought, and a lot of heartbreak

Let's start with humor. My friends Mieke and Jeremy sent me a card the other day.....on the front, two dogs talking to each other. The caption reads, "I had a blog for a while, but then decided to go back to just incessant pointless barking." I smiled, I laughed. Of course, there's not too much difference between the two:) I thought it was adorable.

Earlier today I was thinking of some quotes that were very poignant in "Half of a Yellow Sun." As you can tell, I am a bit sad that I finished reading the book and I don't have another good one to move onto. I want to re-read the book (!), but I know that that never really is as gratifying as we wish it was. In any event, one quote that I really liked was "Some things are so unforgiveable that it makes it easy to forgive others." There are two sisters in the novel, and one sleeps with the boyfriend of the other. The sister who was betrayed stays with her boyfriend, and her and her sister don't speak for years. Then the civil war grows, and the effects of the war are incredible -- on the country, and on each of the sisters. It eventually leads the one betrayed sister searching out the other one to make sure she is still alive, and the one that was betrayed simply says this quote to her sister and nothing else to explain the lost time and/or express her desire to make amends. My replay of the story does not do it justice, but the quote stuck with me. The stark honesty and accuracy of it.

On to the heartbreak. I cry when I see this -- close to uncontrollably. It was sent to me a while ago by another dear dear friend, Laurie, another animal lover and one of my best confidants in life. I came across it again randomly yesterday, and it seemed timely given my current blogs on pit bulls and saving dogs. This is why we work so hard to save them - because they don't have a voice for themselves and this is the fate of all too many that are adoptable. Butter and Deuce were both adopted from shelters and returned, and in many shelters that would be an immediate death sentence. And if you have ever met my two dogs, you know how much they deserve to live.

Please know that it is not easy to watch and, if you choose to watch it, some of the images are hard to see. But they are important and help tell a story that the victims can't tell themselves.

http://www.brightlion.com/inhope.aspx

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nikki, I started watching it, but I just can't. I am already in tears over the first picture. It brought me back to putting Jake down 8 months ago. I HATE that people don't fix spay or neuter their dogs. As soon as our pups were 6 months they were at the vet. Why are people so irresponsible? The shelters are going to start filling up as people that got Christmas puppies realize it is a commitment and not just a toy to play with and leave. It infuriates me that more can't be done. Adoption from a shelter is hard for us right now with small children, but when they are older, I am sure I will be making a trip to save a dog (or 2). I am just scared to bring a dog into the house that I don't know the background on. Not fair to my children or Maggie (my other dog).

Nikki said...

Hi Tracy,

I am glad you didn't watch the video...there are some harder images than the first one, although they certainly are more unique to shelters. Nonetheless, with that fresh wound, not worth watching. Especially b/c you already know the horrors of it. I need to find a way to make sure those people who AREN'T spaying or neutering their pets see it. Not you guys!

I know how hard the memories of Jake must be. My parents had to put one of their (our) dogs to sleep last August (2005) -- Sneaker -- and we all still cry thinking of it. Sneaker had a long, happy, loved life, but it doesn't make it easier. It is such a loss, and I am really sorry.

When the time is right for you, you will be able to adopt again.

Butter is at the vet today getting a sore in his mouth treated. We've tried all different things to fix it -- time, antibiotics, ointments -- but it keeps growing. However, it doesn't bother him at all. In any event, they are going to sedate him and biopsy it today, and if needed put him under to take it out. I know he will be fine, but I am still distracted and nervous.

Anonymous said...

Nikki, I will say a prayer for Butter. I know how hard that is. Jake had a fatty tumor removed last Feb. It didn't bother him, but I needed to be sure he was ok.

Thank you for your kind words. For people like us, they are not pets but members of the family. You left Butter in good hands. Please let me know how he is doing.

Anonymous said...

I'm not watching the video. I'm like Tracy and can't handle people being cruel to animals or negligent or whatever. No need to subject myself to that. :) But I do think it is so so so important to have videos and pictures and stories out there so that people REALIZE how important humane and proper treatment and care of animals is.

Nikki - I know you don't know Tracy like I do, but I see you've already noticed that she's a hardcore dog lover like yourself. :)

I get really frustrated that so many people don't take better care of their pets. But then there are so many parents that don't take proper care of their children, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

As for me, I will continue paying 160 dollars a week for Dharma to get personalized love and a walk 2 x a day until she's 12 weeks old (and gets more shots) and then I will be paying 55 dollars a week for her to attend doggy daycare all day so she can play and socialize and have a great day. Because I refuse to leave a puppy alone for 11 hours a day. And I waited to GET a puppy until I could provide for her like that.

Why aren't more people like us?

Anonymous said...

Hi Nikki,

I was just checking back to see how Butter made out. I hope all is well and you are all inside out of this cruddy rain we are having.

Nikki said...

Tracy-
Thanks for checking in on him! As I posted in my other posting today - Butter definitely stayed out of the rain:) but is now doing better. Thanks for thinking of him. Hope your weekend was good despite the clouds!