Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Work, Life and Workout Ingredients

What is a workplace environment without a little bit of competition and politics? I'd certainly prefer one lacking in both...but since it doesn't seem that exists, you have to revel in the excitement that those extras at work bring. Back in the day (pre-2000) basically everyone who worked at the NFL went to the Super Bowl. One big party. Then things changed, and now they only send those people with valid work responsibilities (that can't be performed remotely). If you work down there, you take a guest with you.

Anyway, most people don't have responsibilities that overlap with the Super Bowl (and that have to be done on site). I do. I didn't think I would start working the game until 2-3 years into my career here (as I was told when I first started), but because a shift in personnel, both of my bosses pushed for me to get to go this year. It made sense. They need two of us to do anti-counterfeiting work. And because of resignations and department changes, there are two of us that do that work. Anyway, so it was "official" - I was going. I went to all the planning meetings, did all the prep work. Derek stepped aside so my dad could go with us. Up through December - close to Christmas - I was going. Then the execs got worried....they thought it was cause turmoil if someone who had been here just 4-5 months went, while people who have worked 5-7 years still haven't gone. Nevermind the logic that if they did what I do, they could go. But they don't. And so instead of having two people doing the work of two people (or really, the work of four people), they have one person doing the work of 2 people (or 4). Everyone felt bad (and I felt bad for my colleague that had all the work on her shoulders), my bosses pushed for me to get to go, but to no avail. I wasn't remotely worried about this - the worst was really just letting my dad know that plans changed. But in any event...it was decided about 2 weeks before the game that I would be doing work here (and "doing work" proved to be an understatement....my past couple weeks here were crazy busy....I'd leave each day totally wiped out). My "consolation prize" -- which is a good one -- they are pushing for me to go to Pro Bowl next year (if not also Super Bowl). Yes, in Hawaii. Yes, more low-key than Super Bowl, which means the work/enjoyment balance is tipped toward enjoyment! Pretty good prize and I didn't even feel like I needed consoling!.

So we threw our annual Super Bowl party. Last minute invites did not keep people away. We had a house full - about 20-25 people. We supplied the drinks and I baked cookies, and everyone else brought dishes to eat. Chili (meat and veggie), mexican dip, spinach & artichoke dip, chips, chips, chips, hot dogs and vegan hot dogs, chocolate cake. Basically, it was time for gluttony at our house. We all had a good time. New friends, old friends, good neighbors and lots of food makes for a good party (and a good life). 99% of the house was cheering for the Colts, but thank god for the other 1% that kept things interesting. Never really that fun to all be on the same side! We also got to i-chat with some friends in DC before our respective parties began, which proved to kick things off well.

So to work backwards for my story....I've had a busy couple weeks at work. Fairly exhausting, as we all know work can be anywhere, no matter what you do. The last week leading up to SB, I didn't make it to the gym at all (because of how fricking cold it was to run outside or run to the gym, and how busy I was). Saturday I made my special cookie dough to bake on Sunday for the party. While making the dough, I probably ate the equivalent of 12-15 cookies worth of dough. At least. Then, Saturday night I got mad at Derek for something. I don't know what exactly, but it was something valid (I know it was) and not solely due to me being tired or on a sugar-low from the cookie dough. Sunday morning, still a little bitter that he didn't apologize for whatever it was I was mad about, I had a kick-a** run. It was still too cold to run outside, so just on the treadmill at the gym. But 6 miles in 45 minutes, interval work, so felt great. Apparently, cookie dough and anger are good fuel (and the iPod....so nice to run with some music after years of not). Thought I was tired of the cookie dough and inspired by the good run to go back to my usually fairly-healthy ways? Um, no. Think again.

Derek and I made up after the workout, but then I needed to bake the cookies. So probably had about 12 more cookies worth of dough, and tested two of the baked cookies that fell apart (yum). They turned out great. That night, had some chili and about 12 more of my cookies, my friend Lauren's cookies, and my neighbor Kristy's cookies (all delicious). You'd think that would be enough to get me to STOP. Was it? No. I brought all the leftover cookies to work with me on Monday to give away. Since a number of us made gigantic amounts of them, we still had a decent amount left. Throughout the day on Monday, what did I eat? About 8 cookies and an orange. Wonderful. So I went to the gym that night (last night). Despite having survived on a diet of COOKIES since my last workout, I had another great run! I wanted to do some weights/calesthenics and get home early, so didn't run as long. But did some interval work for 25 minutes - and while I am usually feeling good going from 6.5 mph to 8.5 mph, I kept my recovery intervals at 7.5 mph (about 8 minute miles) and my fast intervals all above 9.2 mph(about 6 1/2 minute miles). Go Nikki. So whoever said cookies couldn't fuel a body, they'd be wrong.

I then went home and had a major sugar crash. I never want to eat cookies again, and will be content with my slower intervals and slower runs if that is the tradeoff.

So, I am taking a few days off work next week since the season is over. Derek's schedule is still fairly open, so I am going to surprise him with a few days out of the city before he gets busier. Thanks to a nice tax refund, I have exactly 0% guilt over this. I booked us a B&B in Saugerties, NY (near Woodstock) for two nights, and some 90 minute massages for one of the days we are up there at a nearby spa. The B&B I found by googling "weekend getaways from NYC" and "romantic getaways from NYC." Check out http://www.thevillaatsaugerties.com/ . That is where we will be. Can't wait. My favorite dog walker Julia is going to stay at our house with Butter & Deuce (she is their favorite, too, I believe). So far, Derek knows nothing. Because he has auditions for more instructor positions and may get call backs from the others, I did have to tell him not to plan anything for Feb. 14th-Feb. 16th, but didn't want to tell him more. So i just said, "I am not sure. I was just told there might be some big event for work, but I have no idea. I just know it might be one of those days." He asked if it involved the Commissioner, his wife (Jane Skinner - a newscaster), and a jet....and I said, "Who knows. It might. I have no idea." So hopefully he is not disappointed with a car ride, The Studio at The Villa at Saugerties, and me:).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm...Nik...won't he know after you posting about it? :)

And here I am impressed by my 2 mornings in the gym - on the treadmill for a whopping 30 minutes...walking at 4.2. Seriously. Your stats made me want to crawl under my desk.

Nikki said...

Tracey - it's all relative. And I have not gotten up before 6 in a long long time, and I don't have three kids, so you deserve major accolades.

There is absolutely NO RISK of Derek finding out about the trip from this blog. He is SO adverse to the internet. He hates email, and doesn't read this or any blog (aside from the occasional read through of our neighborhood web site, www.dailyheights.com). He depends on my oral replay of internet communications. He gets on the computer for iTunes and maybe to read CNN news updates, and that is about it. His curiosity doesn't even tempt him to do more.

Some of you who read this blog who know Derek will seriously laugh at Tracey's concern:) You can't pay him a million dollars to email on a regular basis - if at all. But the concern made me smile!!

Anonymous said...

See, and my husband comes to my blog to find out what's going on with me. Seriously. There are entire days where our conversation does not progress beyond "how was drop-off?" and "what number did Bailey get in school today" (he gets a *, 1, 2 or 3 based on behavior). He often complains that I post things on my blog before he even knew about them.

I would die if my husband was internet/e-mail adverse. We e-mail each other several times a day. It's the best way to communicate, since usually a little person is taking up the talk time at home.

And you haven't gotten up before 6am in a long, long time? I hate you. Okay, I don't, but I have to admit I will cackle knowingly when you decide to start a family - say goodbye to sleeping through the night AND sleeping in for, oh, years!

Tracy said...

You will be up in my neck of the woods. I am in Newburgh, so wave at exit 17 off the Thruway.

Enjoy your time away!

Nikki said...

Tracy, I transported a dog (a dog that was being saved from the CACC) to Newburgh/Exit 17 not too long ago. It was on its way to GlenHighland Farm (www.sweetbordercollierescue.com) via a few foster homes. I picked him up from the CACC, and ge stayed with us a couple days, then another foster home in Newburgh, then to the farm before he was adopted. We will definitely wave to you!!!

Derek asked again tonight if I knew "what the deal was" for those couple of days. I said I didn't - I just knew we would have something on one of those days. I am very excited!!!

Nikki said...

It is actually www.glenhighlandfarm.com, not the other site i mentioned....

Tracy said...

What a small world!! That farm looks like a very nice place.

I'm so glad that Derek won't find out. My husband would know if I posted it. I can't keep good secrets like that.

Enjoy those massages!!!