Tuesday, November 07, 2006

My Old Puppy


Have a new renewed interest in posting a blog....Still not sharing with many people, because I need to get comfortable with this for now....but I figured I will keep trying and one day be comfortable (as I am told I will be). There will be events in life that will seem appropriate....and, really, it comes down to the fact that I just want to do it!

Today, I have been thinking of my dog, Butter, all day. I have two -- Butter and Deuce. Butter is my old puppy. We got him when he was about 5 or 6, and now he is a solid 12 years old. For a big dog, it is a ripe old age but he is going strong. He still goes on his three walks a day (which means climbing our stairs three times a day) and never resists going out, despite what must be some soreness in his hips and spine. He decides a little earlier than he used to that he is not up for the long walks, but he has always had a mind of his own when it comes to deciding when it is time to turn around and go home on walks. And what really keeps him young is his best friend, Deuce. They play constantly - constantly - and Butter loves him to death. Butter longs to play with him long after Deuce (who is a hyper 4 year old) is over it. And Butter just loves Deuce. He loves to kiss him hello, to lay his head on Deuce's paw, to nudge up against Deuce. It is so adorable it breaks my heart.

Today I just was thinking of what life will be like without him one day, and I quite literally broke into hysterical crying. The tears rose from the pit of my stomach - and I literally couldn't quite handle the emotion. I love him so much, and he really is this amazing presence in my life, my husband's and even in our marriage. He loves "family time" and is never happier than when we are all together, especially if we are laughing and smiling. He is my gentle giant, and I wish that everyone had a little bit of him in their life. Most of my friends do know him, but I wish I could share him with everyone. This post is my small way of doing that.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Hi Nikki,

I am a friend of Tracey's and came here from her blog.

I was reading your posts and this one hit me hard. In May, I lost my "gentle giant" Jake. He was the best dog anyone could ever ask for.

I hope that both of your dogs are with you for many years to come, because I know the pain of losing one that means so much.

Great blog!!