Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Christmas Spirt

I stole this from my friend Tracey, who in turn had stole it from her friend Jodi. When I read Tracey's answers, they got me in the holiday spirit and they looked alarmingly similar to ones I might write myself....But I swear, the answers are my own:)

1. EggNog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate with whip cream.

2. Does Santa wrap presents, use bags or just sit them under the tree? In my family, if Santa is female, she wraps presents. If Santa is male, he just sits them under the tree or gives them to the recipient the same day he buys it - in the bag in which he carried it home from the store.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? White, white, white.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? I have before, but not in a long time. Come to think of it, I am not sure why. It reminds me of the first year we had Butter. He really only gives kisses right when I (or Derek) walk in the door (or now, first thing in the morning). I tried to associate this time of giving kisses with the mistletoe that we had by the door. But he resisted the lesson, as he does most lessons.

5. When do you put your decorations up? 2 weeks before Christmas. If we are having guests earlier in December, then earlier.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Anything my sister makes. Preferably roast and mashed potatoes!:) Yum. Or my own fresh baked cookies. Or the gingerbread cake w/ frosting that you can get at Starbucks.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? Waking up with my sister and coming down stairs to see a whole Lincoln Logs city set up in our living room. We'd always have christmas morning at home with me, my parents, and siblings. Then we'd drive 2 hours to my maternal grandparents house and celebrate with that side of the family (my mom is one of five kids, and there are 11 or 12 grandchildren total). THEN we would go to my dad's parents house and celebrate with that side of the family. He is one of 12 children, and I have over 50 first cousins on that side - and now an amazing number of second cousins. In fact, a couple years ago there was a dispute over who was the 100th member of that family given various births/divorces. Each year, all 100 pack themselves into my grandparents basement for a visit from Santa (my oldest uncle) and drinks at the bar. Despite having a 3 bedroom house, and having had up to 10 kids at home at any one time, they insisted on leaving the largest room in the basement a bar (full service, i might add) rather than turn it into a bedroom. Anyway, after Christmas at my grandparents, we'd drive the two hours home sound asleep and but still somehow be fighting over who had to sit in the middle.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? 1st grade. My sister told me while we were on the playground at school before school started. This playground was where she dispelled many myths (santa, easter bunny, tooth fairy) and let me in on a number of family secrets.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? When we were kids, we always got to choose one. Now, my siblings, our spouses, and my parents do a gift exchange (draw names) and we open that present on Christmas Eve. It's always my favorite part of Christmas.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? White lights, silver and/or red decorations. I am sure it will get more colorful when kids are added to the mix.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Love it when it is fresh, dread it when it is still on the ground and turned into dirty sludge.

12. Can you ice skate? Yes!.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Spending it with my family, and now with my nephews.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Iced gingerbread cake from Starbucks and my own home made cookies.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Jack and cokes made by one of my uncles at my Grandpa & Grandma Hart's house. This means JACK with a little coke. And - the sibling+ gift exchange on christmas eve. And strategizing with my sister about how to spoil the exchange that all the "adults" do at the Hart's house (when your number is called, pick a gift or steal one that someone else already has....). People get sooo mad at us every year.

17. What tops your tree? I think nothing....every year, I think whatever I put on top looks funny. So i just leave it alone.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Close call - almost equal - but I like giving a bit better. I have better luck with it.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Maybe I should not admit - but "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey. And there is a song by u2 that is sort of political and slipping my mind right now but is a great holiday song - and I don't generally like the band.

20. Candy Canes or Chocolate Covered Cherries? I'd go with candy canes, but I could skip both.

21. Favorite Christmas movie: Maybe I should also not admit this - but none stick out to me. I'm looking forward to The Holiday with Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz. I've seen very very very of the classics (maybe none of them).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was so with you...right up until the Mariah Carey! You're right, there are so many similarities with us. And can I join your family at the bar in the basement - that sounds like such a good time! And Starbucks gingerbread with the icing...(Homer Simpson drool coming out of my mouth). Oh Starbucks, you evil temptress.