Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Pre Holiday Post

So last weekend I did not do the race. It was freeezzzing on Saturday, so the thought of running outside in the early morning was not appealing. I was kind of disappointed because I had some good runs during the week and a really good track workout, and I felt like I was going to improve a lot. But, there will be another race soon.

I was able to make it to the women's only Capoiera class last week, though. Typically, I don't like going to the "women's only" classes for anything, but I do like it with capoeira. Not that I don't like the other classes, but it just provides a different angle and different way to train - mostly because it is a different instructor than the other classes I get to go to. We did a lot of "angola" work. Angola is basically capoeira to the slower-beat songs. You do a lot of floor work and strength moves and slow, controlled moves. It is beautiful - absolutel beautiful - when two people who know what they are doing are doing angola capoeira. It was fun to learn some of the moves and options for an angola dialog - and it was hard. I was so sore the next couple days. My shoulders, back, arms, hips hadn't been that sore in quite some time. It felt good! It was a small class, too, so we got lots of personal attention.

I gave Derek his Christmas present on Sunday -- a 90 minute massage at a spa called Haven in SoHo. Part of my present to him was also me getting a 90 minute massage:) Because I know that he would want me to get a massage too, of course. So we both had a nice day at the spa! It was so relaxing. There are few things in life I love more than a massage.

We are having some friends over for a holiday party this weekend. I go to Miami for work on Sunday, so we are having the party on the earlier side Saturday night. It should be fun. We tend to invite too many people when we have gatherings, so we are keeping this small and just inviting some of our closest friends (that live in NY and can actually make it to the party:)). They are all awesome people, so there's no doubt it will be fun. It will be stress free too, as I am going to get most of our food from FreshDirect. If I weren't so honest and didn't tell people that, I could get away with looking like I made all these great appetizers on my own or that Derek did. But I am no good at keeping a secret, so I can't let myself take the credit. I am especially excited for this cranberry and brie empenadas that they have. Yum. We are having a sort of cranberry theme - which means we are serving Crantini's as a drink - and so in addition to a cranberry dessert, I am glad I have one more dish with cranberry's:) My goal is to be a good as host as my friend Agatha - who is my host idol and is like Martha Stewart in-fun-cognito.

Next week we have two friends staying with us for most the week before I head to Colorado for Christmas, and we are soooo excited. I worked with Mieke during my clerkship for a judge in San Diego, and while we worked together she started dating her now fiance, Jeremy. As it turns out, Jeremy went to high school with me and even dated (way back when) one of my close friends that I swam with. They are both awesome people. They are currently traveling the world (from Sept through the end of January or February), and have a couple days in New York in between their time in Morocco and Brazil. They are also thinking of moving to New York in the Spring, so Mieke has some good interviews here during that time. I can't wait to see them and to hear more of their travel stories. I know Butter & Deuce are excited as well (because, you know, they do speak to me....haha). Mieke and Jeremy have watched them before for us and they both get sooo excited to have them around. Which warms my heart and makes me happy - they are such good judges of character:)

Oh, speaking of one other thing that makes me SO happy. The BMW commercial with the brother and sister that are showing unbridled excitement at the Christmas gift they got. Pure excitement and happiness (pumping fists, screaming, shouting). I love it. Even if I am in the WORST mood ever - that commercial could come on and I smile and feel the happiness in my heart. The other night I was sleeping, and Derek was up watching TV (quite late), and he woke me up just to see that commercial. And I was happy he did - that is how much I love it:) So pathetic, but oh well.

No comments: