Friday, December 15, 2006

Kids Holiday Party

Today at work is the holiday party for all the children of employees.....there are lots of little 2-11 year olds running around, and mostly really 2-5 year olds. Oh my god. They are so cute. My dear friend Laurie noted the other day that I had lots of posts about kids on my blog....although technically I think I just had a couple posts with lots of mentions of kids, she was essentially right. Now, I know she will read this and say "Another one!" And she will be right:) But really, with all the kids around, how could I help it?

They are so cute. My colleague just brought his 4 year old son over to say hi to me. There are donut holes on the counter outside my office (a place everyone sets community food....thanks so much for making it so convenient to me, although I am proud at how much will power I have most days). He said, in his cute little boy voice but one that is a little deep and froggy, "Oh dad, that is why i smell donuts!" He is too smart. Dave introduced him to me, and he said "Hi Nikki..." When I asked if he wanted a donut, he said so politely, "Oh, yes , please!" Too cute. Then he made sure I knew what he was really thinking, "Thank you. I really need energy to make sure I get to see Santa today." Ah, break my heart.

Last night I called my sister, who was out shopping so apparently my parents were over babysitting my nephews--the 2 1/2 (or almost 3, i guess) year old and 4-month old baby (the 11 year old was out shoppiung with "santa"). WHile my mom was holding the baby (Brady), my dad was "helping" Riley, the 2 1/2 year old, make a gingerbread house. This meant my dad was trying to make it and Riley was pretending the frosting was toothpaste - literally. When he heard my mom talking on the phone, he decided to pretend like he was in on the conversation too, and would say things like "Soooo...." and "Oh, REALLY" and then laugh. When my mom asked if he wanted to talk on the phone, he said "I am talking on the phone to YOU" and laughed. He thinks he just has the greatest sense of humor:) Then my mom asked, "No, do you want to talk to Aunt Nikki on the phone" he said, "Ohhh, Aunt Nikki.....wait till I brush my teeth to go swimming" (I went swimming with him when I was there over the summer, and took him down the big water slide for his first time, and he remembers this and mentions it every time they pass the water park). My dad, teasing him b/c he wasn't really helping with the gingerbread house (what did my dad really expect?) said "Riley, go talk to your Aunt." And Riley corrrected him, "Not Your Aunt. Aunt Nikki!" I was just laughing b/c like my sister, he really never lets my parents get the last word in:)

Finally, he decided to talk to me and sing me Rudolph since he has to sing that for his school/daycare play tonight (Brady the baby will be a baby Reindeer). He sand the first verse into the phone, and then paused. When I said, "Riley, what's the next verse?" He said he forgot, so I started singing the next verse.....middle of the verse, he accidently hung up on me. Well, he didn't realize this, b/c for five minutes I tried to call back periodically and it wouldn't go through. For five minutes, he held the phone to his ear and bobbed his head like someone was singing to him (I am told), and then he said "Love you Aunt Nikki. Good night"-- and gave the phone back to my mom. My mom then realized that the "operator" was singing to him "If you'd like to make a call, hang up and try again...." or whatever the recording says:) We were all dying of laughter!!! I was somewhat relieved to know that my singing voice (i am the worst!@!!!) sounded at least similar to him as the operator's soothing voice!;)

So now to attend to conference calls with adults and get some work done!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, the "kid hung up but no one realized it" phone call. Have had several of those. Actually, the best phone story is when Sam called my friend Lara in NH, and I had no idea he was on the phone (he apparently pressed redial) and chatted away with her, and she finally got him to get off the phone, and then called me back and said how she had a lovely talk with Sam - I had no idea.

Tracy said...

Yes, kids and phones can be quite funny. My parents save the messages that Emma leaves just so them can hear her voice. They only live 5 minutes away and yet they need to save her voice. Children are funny.