Friday, December 15, 2006

Because sometimes, all of us need some encouragement...

So i find it useful to use this blog (selfishly) for pats on the back. So when I am feeling incompotent or lame, I can at least go to this blog and see that "wait, i have received positive feedback before! I can do something!" Okay, so it might only be of limited use since I am created the blog and can self engrandize (is that a word? the right word?) all I want. But at least it is something!

Today, I received this email from one of my capoeira instructors. It was timely b/c I felt somewhat retarded in class last night. I always feel like I get the moves when we practice them in drills, but then can't come close to doing them when I am in the circle/"roda" playing at the end....But, this email made me feel good and it was a reminder that yes, the more you do something, the better you get! Or, as Lou Holtz says in my new favorite quote, "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." Also, when I was walking home last night, I said to myself, "I need to jump in the roda more often....Not just when I am with people my level or who I am comfortable with...but with the most advanced people, too. With everyone. If I only play with people my level, I'll just stay my level...." So Ana clearly was tuned into that, as well.....last night, once the advanced people joined in (the really really advanced), I didn't get into the roda at all. So she eloquently gave me encouragement to do so, while also just enough compliments to make me feel good at the same time:)

Hi there great job in class last night. I love to see you
train. you put your whole body into it and focus so well. you have
facility at taking what is taught in class and putting it in the roda. keep
challenging yourself to play more in the roda and you will feel your game
grow even more. thanks for being there. have a great weekend and a great
party tomorrow night. love ana
-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I didn't understand half this post because I know nothing about capoeira, but it sounds like you did good! :) lol.

Tracy said...

What a very nice email!! Like Tracey, I know nothing about capoeira either. But I have learned that the more you throw your hat into the ring, the more comfortable and better you will become. I think it is wonderful that you have something you like so much that is good for you.