Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Attorney by Day/Capoeirista by Night

I was going to write a big post today, but couldn't commit to it. When I started, I realized that maybe "blogging" is not my thing. Each time I write, I feel like I am acting too "self important." No one is even going to read this (especially since I am waiting to tell anyone I have a blog!), but it still feels wierd. I don't know how to use this, but for some reason I want to. Not sure.

The other day someone said it was "sexy" that I was an "high power attorney by Day, and a Capoeirista by Night." I laughed. I am the lowest attorney on the totem pole where I work....Granted, I work at a pretty amazing place and I'd rather be lowest on the totem pole here than a big-shot anywhere else. It's my dream job. But still......I don't feel like a high-power player most days despite the suit(s) I wear to work. And when I go to Capoeira each night, I rarely feel like a capoeirista despite my white abada. I've improved, don't get me wrong. And I am proud of my playing on certain nights, when I think on my feet and remember my entire repertoire of moves while in the Roda, but I am not stunning people with my acrobatics. I more typically think of myself of someone who is trying to do capoeira rather than as a capoeirista. But I guess, what's the difference? It's all perspective, right?

I think my reaction to my friend's statement stems from the same place that makes me feel wierd writing a blog. I don't deserve too much credit. I don't think there is enough "on my resume" to warrant interest in my life. Maybe there is, though. I feel like even if I just write something down - just tell what I am up to - I am somehow instantly glamorizing it (even if I stick to the facts). Maybe I am not. Maybe I just have to write this blog from the perspective of the person who finds my life "sexy." Ha. We'll see how this goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Well if I was the first blog you ever left a comment on, it's appropriate that I am the first comment left on your blog!

You'll get over feeling self-important and become less self-conscious. I definitely felt that way at first - like, who wants to hear about my kids and my boring life in the suburbs? Over a year later and I'm still going strong and have a lot of people that read (go figure!). Welcome to the club!