Friday, August 17, 2007

New Blog Theme?

I described the way morning sickness feels to my friend Brad as "The feeling you have after having one too many Jack and Coke's. And having that feeling last for three months." He said, finally, he understood.

He then asked, after I told him how hungry you get, how hungry can you really be? I explained, "Imagine knowing you were going to Peter Lugar's [excellent steak place] for dinner. And you had a late night poker game the night before [he is a gambling addict], then slept late and woke up late for your basketball tournament, so you rushed to it, played basketball all day, were late to get ready for dinner so rushed to do that, on your way to Peter Lugar's realized you hadn't eaten all day and are starving. And, you are salivating at the mouth for a medium-rare filet mignon. And then you get there, and you are pretty sure you can barely wait to sit down and have them at least put bread down on the table, and they tell you there is a 45-60 minute delay despite having reservations." And it is the hunger you feel in the 59th minute of waiting that equates to the hunger you feel throughout the day when pregnant. He said, finally, he understood.

So he has asked that I "create" a blog that explains pregnancy in "man's terms" as opposed to just layman's terms. He thinks I can have a following. I doubt it, but I said every now and then I would try to explain what the hell I feel so that thickheaded men like him may understand. He said his wife would one day be grateful.

Meanwhile, So You Think You Can Dance has come to a season end. I love that show. Sabra won. She is good. All four final four were good. But Sarah has my favorite throughout and I noticed that when the choreographer's each picked their favorite dance of the season, she was in the large majority. This clearly means I should have been a choreographer, not a lawyer. Clearly:)

Tomorrow is Derek's birthday. Our friends Dave and Roxanne are coming up from DC tonight, and we are going to dinner with Mike and Lauren to Blue Ribbon (check out www.blueribbonrestaurants.com). It is supposed to be some of the best food in NYC, and gets lots of rave reviews. Yum.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was giggling at your explanations.

I think that type of blog would mostly have a large following...by women giggling. I'm not sure MOST men care enough to understand and know how women are feeling through pregnancy (does that sound too cynical? Maybe because even my sensitive ponytail guy without an actual ponytail didn't seem all that interested)

When's your due date?

Tell Roxanne and Dave I said hi - glad they are getting a chance to come up. And happy birthday Derek!

Nikki said...

Ironically enough, many of my male friends are COMPLETELY interested in how I am feeling. The ironic part -- they aren't the sensitive ponytail type guys. No, those friends of mine don't ask too many questions. It is the "guy's guys" -- the gambling addict, the obsessive sports fan, the handy-man that carries a hammer and screwdriver everywhere and doesn't particularly like clean clothes, the border chauvenist (sp?) -- that are really interested. I don't know why - there is no rhyme or reason.

I am due March 9th. I am in my 11th week.....first ultrasound tomorrow. More soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh, a Pisces baby! One of my favorite signs. :) Rich, Bailey and my sister are all Pisces. My friend Deb who is pregnant with twins is due March 16th but she will probably deliver sometime in February, due to the twins and all.