Friday, May 04, 2007

Seven Random Things

My friend Tracey (http://morethanaminivanmom.blogspot.com) "tagged" me to post 7 random things about myself. I think actually seven "weird" things, but now I cannot remember and I am being too lazy to go check back. I am also supposed to "tag" someone more people to do the same....but no one else who reads this but Tracey has an ACTIVE blog. So any tagging I do will fail....so I'll just do the listing....

  1. I can only wink with my left eye. For the life of me, I cannot wink with my right eye. If I try, both my eyes just squint/close. I cannot do it.
  2. I like to dip french fries in milkshakes. If I get fries anywhere, I always order a milkshake (if possible) and dip my fries in the shake like it is a condiment.
  3. I've had over 75 stitches in my chin. In the same 1 inch spot. You can still barely see the scar, but it is there. The first set of 35 came when I was about 8 years old, and I was ice skating at a "Kiwana's Club" party. My dad was part of the Kiwana's Club (what the hell is that, by the way??) and it was a family ice-skating party. I fancied myself to be Dorothy Hamill and liked to go in the middle of the rink to do tricks. I fell hard on the ice, and it split my chin open. Badly. The had to clear the ice and get the Zamboni out to clean up all the blood. I got three layers of stitches because it was so deep. The next time I got stitches in that same spot, I was 11. I was riding bikes down a hill with my sister. She "swore" that she was not using breaks on the way down, so I didn't either. At the bottom of the hill, I lost control of the bike and ran into a dirt mound. My bike stayed where it was, and I went flying. I skidded on my chin (note: no other part of my body even had a scrape! Does this mean I have a big chin?). I could actually lift the skin of my chin up and touch the bone, and I almost went into shock.
  4. I think I have mentioned this before, but if I am watching a game show, I usually turn it off or change the channel right before the very end. I can't stand to see anyone lose and so, depending on what game it is, I either like to just put it out of my mind and pretend it was an old re-run (so the person has now recovered from the heartache of the loss) or pretend that everyone won (for example, if it is Wheel of Fortune).
  5. Nicknames I've had in my life, aside from Nikki and/or Nik: "Motor Nose," "Hart," "James King Lowell," "Sticky Fart" (purely for rhyming reasons only!!), "Luca," "Jose," "Steve," "Cameron," and "Nikki Jo." My Granpda Ray called me the first, many have called me the second, my sister tormented me with the third, my high school friends Chris, Kurt and Derek called me the fourth once Derek brilliantly realized it rhymed with my name, Agatha called me the fifth, my friend (who is like a sister) Tamra called me the sixth, and Agatha called me the seventh and eighth, and my Uncle Dave called me the ninth (pretending to get me and my sister confused, since my sister's name is Billi Jo). Oh, and "Branca de Neve," which means Snow White and is my capoeira nickname.
  6. Often, I have a dream that I cannot move at all, and to move I have to swim. So I have to find a way to swim in the equivalent of air only as deep as like 1 foot, and I can never figure out how to start -- but once I get going I get exactly where I need to go. I definitely have this dream when I am feeling overwhelmed with something -- whether it is life in general or something more specific. I have this dream even though, barring about 1 months in 1999, I haven't swam since 1995.
  7. When I was little (like kindergarden), I would pretend to "nurse" my dolls in our backyard (which is weird, because my mom did not breastfeed and neither did any of my aunts, so where did I see this?) and I wanted to name my daughter "Shasta," yes, as in the cola.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, ready for something bizarre? I have the same dream (#6) periodically throughout my life. We should start asking around if this is a common swimmer's anxiety dream.

And totally remember the fries/milkshake thing. Can picture you doing that at various places that we have eaten out together (I actually think I have a vivid memory of us at Hamburger Hamlet and you doing that). And I love your soft mushy heart (the game show).

Billi said...

Clyde Lowell King Irving ~ to be exact :)